Continuing with our theme about making conversation, in this session we talked about ways of starting, following and leaving a conversation. Sometimes it’s necessary to leave a conversation abruptly, either to meet other people or if the conversation is becoming tedious.
Starting a conversation
- Excuse me, do you mind if I join you?
- Excuse me, I couldn’t help overhearing that you …
- Can I have a word, please? (To speak to someone privately)
- Have we met somewhere before?
- Your face looks familiar…
Following a conversation
- That’s an interesting point of view.
- That’s great.
- I agree.
- I’m not sure about that.
- I can’t say I do.
- I’m sorry, I didn’t catch your name.
Leaving a conversation
- I’m sorry but I’ve just spotted someone that I need to speak to.
- Can you excuse me for a moment? I need to …
- I’m sorry but I have to go… I will contact you. We must stay in touch.
- Please feel free to contact me whenever you want.
- I’m so sorry but I have to make/ take an important call.
- I’m sorry I have to go now but I’ll try to catch you later.